We’re looking for a stellar Evaluation, Learning, and Communications Fellow to join our team for summer 2020 (and possibly beyond)!
Root Change is a development laboratory, testing new ideas and leveraging learning to advocate for far-reaching change within the development sector. We believe that traditional approaches to development have failed to address the systemic causes of poverty, injustice, and vulnerability in the world. That is why we design programs, technologies, and interactive experiences that help people, organizations, and communities build better futures for themselves. Our daily work is focused on putting more power in the hands of local actors, developing the capacity of systems—made up of civil society, government, and citizens—to work together more effectively, and creating adaptive approaches that are responsive to ever-changing environments.
Most recently, our work has supported:
- Community problem solving through Social Labs in Malawi;
- Investment in families and peer-learning in Colombia;
- Collective approaches to advocacy in Nigeria;
- Locally-led program experimentation in the Philippines; and
- Social network analysis of youth employment opportunities in Kenya.
We’re looking for a 2020 Summer Fellow to join the Root Change team in the development revolution!
Evaluation, Learning, and Communications Fellow
The 2020 Summer Fellow will work closely with the entire Root Change team and our diverse partners—international NGOs, movements, foundations, civil society organizations, and more—to analyze and make sense of data emerging from the field, conduct research into new program and funding opportunities, share learning and stories from our programs in written materials, and engage our broad network via social media, webinars, and events. More specifically, your work will include:
Evaluation & Learning
- Convert raw survey data collected from the Community Independence Initiative monthly “Family Journals” into informative metrics, graphs, and visuals;
- Clean and analyze social network analysis data collected on our Pando platform by social entrepreneurs in Malawi, humanitarian response work in the Philippines, and more;
- Support with writing research reports for programs like the Cooperative Development Program;
- Work with Root Change staff to organize and structure our knowledge management systems, such as Dropbox, and Google Drive.
- Draft blog posts that tell stories about what we’re learning from our programs;
- Research, track, and support new funding and program opportunities;
- Craft beautiful reports and communications materials by applying Root Change branding and formatting guidelines;
- Identify and participate in opportunities to showcase our learning and engage with new partners such as conferences, events, and webinars;
- Work with our digital marketing firm to create and publish new content for our website—such as a project timeline & updated subscription email;
- Experiment with data-driven digital marketing efforts on platforms such as LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Strong educational or professional background in international development or similar field (Ideal candidates will be early career professionals, graduate students, recent graduates, or rising undergraduate seniors)
- 2 years of relevant work or internship experience
- A passion for supporting locally-led development and listening to the voices of the communities we seek to serve
- Advanced Excel proficiency (data cleaning, data processing using Excel formulas, pivot tables, and visualization tools)
- Advanced quantitative and qualitative data analysis skills
- Experience writing professional communications for a variety of audiences, including program reports, funding proposals, and/or digital marketing materials
- Comfort applying fonts, colors, and other branding guidelines in Word and PowerPoint
- Ability to adapt and work as a team player in a fast-paced, evolving environment
- Comfort questioning assumptions, testing new ideas, and pivoting on established work plans
- Readiness to set goals, track deadlines, and execute high-quality tasks independently in a virtual work environment
- Advanced Spanish language skills preferred
- Previous experience with social network analysis and feedback methodologies (such as Constituent Voice) a plus
- Experience navigating USAID scoping, proposal writing, and program implementation a bonus
- While working on a small, tight-knit team, you will get exposure to all of the aspects of international development work. From scoping research, to project design, to monitoring and evaluation, you’ll walk away with a diverse skill set that can be broadly applied in the sector.
- Participate in Root Change’s professional development program, North Star, to set your own learning goals for your fellowship. Work closely with a team of experienced professionals to learn about capacity development, systems strengthening, and more.
- Take advantage of unique Root Change resources such as the Thinking and Working in Systems course to augment your professional development.
- Work from anywhere (with strong internet)! Given the current situation with Covid-19, we anticipate that this will be an entirely virtual position, with the option to come into the office should the situation improve before the end of the fellowship.
Position Duration & Compensation
This is an hourly position consisting of 25-40 hours/week at $15/hour. We are looking for someone who can work on a Monday – Friday, 9 am – 5 pm EST schedule. This is a two-month fellowship, with the possibility of extending for a month or more, scheduling and funding permitting. The preferred start date is Monday, May 18.
Submit a one-page cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Evaluation, Learning, and Communications Fellow” by May 1. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.